Canadians to enjoy McCafé bagels nationwide
New national survey reveals Canadians’ bagel preferences
Toronto, ON (May 10, 2018) – On the heels of a successful launch in Ontario, McDonald’s Canada announced today that it will be expanding its new McCafé bagels to participating restaurants across the country. The new offering aligns with Canadians’ love of bagels as the recent Ontario launch performed better than expected.
McCafé bagels are baked fresh daily and toasted to order in restaurants and are available in four varieties: plain, multigrain, cinnamon & raisin, and everything, with a choice of three spreads: Philadelphia regular cream cheese product, Philadelphia herb & garlic cream cheese product, and spreadable real butter. In Quebec, the everything bagel choice was swapped with sesame seed due to consumer insights on local preferences.
A recent McCafé / VIGA* survey found that Canadians’ bagel preferences vary coast to coast. Except when it comes to spreads, Canadians are traditionalists with plain cream cheese (83 per cent) edging out butter (70 per cent) with all other spreads far behind.
Additional survey findings:
• Over half (53%) of Canadians who have tried McDonald’s new bagels said they would recommend them to a friend or family member – the highest of all QSRs in Canada included in the survey
• Everything bagels top the charts in most provinces (55 per cent) apart from Quebec, where Sesame Seed is number one (71 per cent). In Ontario, Everything Bagel has also been the most popular McCafé bagel choice (39%).
• 61 per cent of Canadians would order a coffee with their bagel and prefer to get their bagel at the same time and place that they get their coffee (53 per cent).
• One in four bagel-loving Canadians (about 24 per cent) eat their bagels in the car on a regular basis
Other Key Facts
• Canadians can enjoy McCafé bagels with their favourite coffee at participating 1,400 McDonald’s locations in communities across the country.
• There are nearly 290 million bagels served in Canada each year.
“McCafe bagels have been an incredibly exciting addition to our menu,” said Nicola Pitman, Director, Menu Innovation at McDonald’s Canada. “We’re proud of how the new McCafé bagels have caught on throughout Ontario, and we’re looking forward to sharing the love with the rest of the country.”
About McDonald's Canada
In 1967, Canadians welcomed the first McDonald's® restaurant to Richmond, British Columbia. Today, McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Limited has become part of the Canadian fabric, serving close to three million guests every day. Together with our franchisees, we proudly employ nearly 100,000 people from coast-to-coast and approximately 90 per cent of McDonald's 1,400 Canadian restaurants are locally owned and operated by independent entrepreneurs. Of the almost $1 billion we spend on food, beverages and packaging, more than 85 per cent is purchased from over 100 suppliers in Canada.
McDonald’s Canada and VIGA conducted two surveys among VIGA panel members aged 18-55. The studies were fielded online between Apr.13 – Apr. 25.
The first survey reflects 500 Ontarians that have tried McDonald’s new bagels. Its results are replicable 19/20 within +/- 3%.
The second survey reflects 1,147 total respondents across Canada that order bagels from quick service restaurants or specialty bagel shops. Respondent groups were balanced across five provincial regions: BC, the Prairies, Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes. National results from this survey are replicable 19/20 within +/- 3%. Regional splits from this survey are replicable 18/20 within +/- 6%.
VIGA respondents are recruited through a number of different mechanisms, via different sources to join the panels and participate in market research surveys. All panelists have passed a double opt-in process and complete on average 300 profiling data points prior to taking part in surveys. Respondents are invited to take part via email and are provided with a small monetary incentive for doing so.